Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thinking about symbolism

Being critiqued by a professional artist outside the Grand View community was so refreshing and educational! Des Moines artist Larassa Kabel was invited to critique our visual arts mini-body of work for our capstone class earlier this week, and although I chose not to participate directly(since I am a double major and was able to select certain assignments,) I was very glad I sat through the process. Two visual arts majors and a double major had works and small portfolios to show, and after Ms. Kabel showed us some of her work, she talked about what meant to be an artist to her, how she got to where she was, and gave some great advices.

It made me think more so about what my work meant to me; what are the background on specific symbolism I use? How do I explain them to my audience? What can I do now to be ready if and when someone wishes to see my genuine work? I felt that I still had so much to do before having a sufficient body of work. Before the Arts Festival this summer, I wish to deeply contemplate about those questions. Fun fun =)

No comments: